Well-formulated products containing vitamin C help your skin look younger and act healthier for longer. Vitamin C has remained one of the very few ingredients that has stood the test of time as an incredibly powerful and effective skin protection ingredient. It is also one of the most well-studied.
What is Vitamin C?
Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant that offers powerful protection against pollution, environmental damage and sun damage.
There are a few forms of Vitamin C that act in different ways in the skin. We have selected the derivative Sodium Ascorbic Phosphate (SAP) for our AM SERUM for its stability and skin soothing properties as well as its ability to deliver the three key elements you want from a vitamin C: antioxidant protection, collagen synthesis, evening skin tone.
What is Sodium Ascorbic Phosphate (SAP)?
SAP a stable and water-soluble form of vitamin C, which is a potent antioxidant that can help brighten and even out skin tone, boost collagen production, and protect the skin against environmental stressors such as UV radiation and pollution.
How does it work in the skin?
Our skin enzymes break down sodium ascorbyl phosphate and release active Vitamin C into our skin. Our body doesn't naturally produce Vitamin C, so it needs to be applied topically and when done so acts as a powerful antioxidant, neutralizing oxidised substances and free radicals. It also reduces inflammation by blocking certain pro-inflammatory substances, which helps soothe and calm the skin. When the vitamin C reaches the deep epidermal layers, it stimulates collagen production, improving skin elasticity. It also breaks down melanin and suppresses its production, which helps combat signs of aging and hyperpigmentation caused by sun exposure.
Some of the skin benefits of Sodium ascorbyl phosphate include:
- Antioxidant protection: helps to protect the skin from damage caused by free radicals, including environmental stressors like pollution and UV radiation.
- Skin-brightening: can help to brighten and even out the skin tone by inhibiting the production of melanin, which is responsible for dark spots and hyperpigmentation.
- Collagen synthesis: helps to boost collagen production in the skin, which helps to improve skin elasticity and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Anti-inflammatory: helps to soothe and calm irritated skin.
- Sun damage protection: works to protect the skin against the damaging effects of UV radiation, which can cause premature aging, hyperpigmentation, and skin cancer.
Getting enough Vitamin C to reach the deep layers of the skin can be challenging because it dissolves in water and is easily damaged, which is why we have encapsulated our vitamin C in a proprietary deep delivery system to ensure the active ingredient is delivered specifically to the deepest layer of the epidermis for a more intense and precise effect on the structures and cells located there. The use of these deep delivery systems enables up to twelve times the amount of the active ingredient to reach the interior of the skin compared to when applied freely. In addition, the encapsulated active ingredient in the deep delivery system penetrates the skin quickly and safely without undergoing changes in their molecular structure which means they retain their efficacy at the point of delivery.